Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Lister Lab (epigenetics and genomics)
Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research
The University of Western Australia
Doctor of Philosophy (Medicine)
The University of Adelaide (2012-2015)
Thesis: An integrative analysis of the human placental transcriptome. Accepted without change July 2015 and awarded the Dean’s commendation for doctoral thesis excellence
Bachelor of Health Science (First Class Honours)
The University of Adelaide (2011)
This honours research revealed epigenetic imprinting plasticity of a long non-coding RNA in the human placenta during early development.
Bachelor of Science
Flinders University (2008-2010)
Extended Major in Biological Sciences
Graduated among the top 10% of students and received the Chancellor’s Commendation in two consecutive years.
WA Department of Health Merit Award (2020): Repair of abnormal genomic imprinting in human induced pluripotent stem cells through naive reprogramming and targeted epigenome engineering. BUCKBERRY S (CIA) $95,000
NHMRC-ARC Dementia Research Development Fellowship Grant (2016-2019): The Role of the neuronal methylome in natural brain ageing and the progression of Alzheimer’s Disease (APP1111206). BUCKBERRY S (CIA) $584,644
NHMRC Peter Doherty Biomedical Early Career Fellowship Award (2016-2019): The role of atypical DNA methylation in neuronal genome regulation and neurodevelopmental disorders (APP1110063). BUCKBERRY S (CIA) $314,644 This research fellowship was relinquished to accept the grant above.
Robinson Research Institute Seed Funding (2015-2016): A multi-faceted approach to understanding the consequences of diabetes in early pregnancy. BROWN HM, NOTTLE M, GATFORD K, DUNNING K, BREEN J & BUCKBERRY S. $25,000
Robinson Research Institute Seed Funding (2014-2015): Investigating new mechanisms regulating transcription in the pre-implantation embryo. BROWN HM, BENT SJ, BUCKBERRY S, THOMPSON JG. $25,000
Awards, scholarships & fellowships
- Finalist - Woodside Early Career Scientist of the Year - WA Premiers Science Awards (2020)
- WA Department of Health Merit Award (2020)
- People’s Choice Award - Epigenetics Consortium of South Australia annual research meeting (2019)
- Ana Africh Stem Cell Research Travel Scholarship (2019)
- Raine Research Prize (2019) - Raine Medical Research Foundation
- Best Oral Presentation by Early Career Researcher at Australasian Genomic Technologies Association conference (2016)
- NHMRC-ARC Dementia Research Development Grant Fellowship (2016-2019)
- NHMRC Peter Doherty Biomedical Early Career Fellowship (2016-2019) relinquished
- Y.W Loke Young Investigator Award, IFPA Conference (2015)
- Dean’s Commendation for Doctoral Thesis Excellence (2015)
- Promega PhD Student Award, Lorne Genome Conference (2014)
- Healthy Development Adelaide & Channel 7 Children’s Research Foundation PhD Scholarship (2012-2015)
- The Robinson Research Institute Petrucco Honours Scholarship (2011)
- A.R Riddle Honours Grant, The University of Adelaide (2011)
- Flinders University Chancellors Commendation (2010 & 2011)
- Flinders University Summer Research Scholarship (2010)
- Data Science Specialization – Johns Hopkins University & Coursera (2014-2015)
- Advanced bioinformatics workshop, Australian Centre for Ancient DNA (2014)
- Software carpentry Boot Camp for Bioinformaticians, Adelaide (2013)
- Advanced bioinformatics workshop, Australian Centre for Ancient DNA (2013)
- EMBL-EBI bioinformatics workshop, Adelaide (2012)
- Advanced bioinformatics workshop, Australian Centre for Ancient DNA (2012)
- Beyond Words public speaking coaching (2012)
- University of Adelaide bioinformatics and scripting workshop (2010)
- Australian Science Communicators media training (2010)
Memberships and affiliations
- Executive committee member - Australasian Genomic Technologies Association (AGTA)
- International Society for Stem Cell Research (ISSCR)
Teaching and student supervision
I currently supervise two PhD students and one masters of biotechnology student, and supervised one honour student to completion in 2019 who was awarded first class honours.
I lecture in the masters level topic Collecting, Analysing and Interpreting Big Data in Biology (SCIE4001) at The University of Western Australia.
In the past, I have assisted teaching bioinformatics workshops, including BioInfoSummer.
Selected oral presentations
Overcoming the epigenetic barriers to cellular reprogramming. South Australia Health and Medical Research Institute 2019. Adelaide, Australia. Invited presentation.
Profiling the shifting epigenetic landscape during human reprogramming. People’s Choice Award, Epigenetics Consortium of South Australia Annual Research Meeting 2019. Adelaide Australia. Invited presentation.
Characterising epigenome dynamics during the reprogramming of somatic cells to iPS cells. Lorne Genome Conference 2017. Lorne, Australia.
Characterising epigenome dynamics during the reprogramming of somatic cells to iPS cells. Best ECR oral presentation, Australasian Genomic Technologies Association (AGTA) Conference 2016. Auckland, New Zealand.
Moving towards integrative epigenomic analyses. International Federation of Placenta Associations (IFPA) Conference 2015. Brisbane, Australia. Invited presentation.
Integrative analysis of placental transcriptome organization reveals highly conserved regulatory programs and points toward a preeclampsia gene cluster. New investigator award session. International Federation of Placenta Associations (IFPA) Conference 2015. Brisbane, Australia.
Integrative transcriptome meta-analysis reveals widespread sex-biased gene expression patterns in human extra-embryonic tissue. Promega PhD Student Award, Lorne Genome Conference 2014. Lorne Victoria, Australia.
What can big data tell us about big tummies? Robinson Research Institute Symposium 2014. Adelaide, Australia. Invited presentation.
Using RNA sequencing to comprehensively profile the transcriptomes of reproductive tissues. Society for Reproductive Biology Conference 2014. Melbourne, Australia. Invited presentation.
Sexual inequality begins in utero with genome-wide differences in the human placental transcriptome. ANZPRA new investigator award session, Society for Reproductive Biology Conference 2013. Sydney, Australia.
Using RNA sequencing to quantify placental transcriptomes. Methods in Reproductive Biology Symposium 2013. Mercy Hospital for Women, Melbourne, Australia. Invited presentation.
Sex-biased gene expression at the human fetal-maternal interface. Australian Society for Medical Research Annual Meeting 2013. Adelaide, Australia.
Quantitative allele-specific expression analysis reveals imprinting plasticity of the H19 lincRNA. ANZPRA new investigator award session, Society for Reproductive Biology Conference 2012. Gold Coast, Australia.
Allele-specific expression of H19 and IGF2 in the human placenta across gestation. Honours award session, Australian Society for Medical Research Annual Meeting 2012. Adelaide, Australia.